Saturday 2 February 2013

Work lunchbreak.....

Bit busier than expected at work today so only got out of the office for about an hour mid-afternoon. The Fieldfares I'd seen a few days ago were still around, but instead of over 40 there were about 15 left. I'd seen 7 Redwings with them two days ago, but I couldnt see them today, and the Fieldfares were at the back of one of the paddocks so no lovely close ups either.

The Pied Wagtail was very obliging though.......

 
 
And two of the five horses were more than happy to come up to the fence for a chat and a stroke. I was talking to the owner of the whole yard and horse paddocks yesterday, and she did tell me the horses names, but I've forgotten them !! So may I introduce 'Horse One'...
 

 
 
...........and 'Horse Two'.......
 

 
 
Arent they gorgeous ??? There are three other horses and I will get photos of them soon. But these two are the ones that came trotting up to me eveytime I walk down the 'avenue'. I really like going to the back horse paddocks, it calms me, especially if work is getting stressful. The views are great and it is my intention to get down there more often with my camera, especially if I'm working a weekend as work is generally quieter. I'm working tomorrow and work-wise it is looking very quiet. The weather forecast is showers so I'm going to test-drive my new 'Op Tech Rainsleeve for DSLRs'. Will let you all know how I get on tomorrow night.....
 
The Woodpigs in the work yard are getting very territorial now. There's a lot of hopping aggressively towards each other, like the Collared Doves do, and chasing each other off favourite perches and vantage points. The pair of Robins are happily settling into a routine of eating the raisins I chuck on the floor for them, and then trying to outdo each other in who can hang off a fat-square feeder the longest. I hung up a peanut feeder as well two weeks ago, and that is being regularly visited by Blueys and Great-Tits. I'm really looking forward to the warmer Spring days when I will take my camera into work every day. I learnt my lesson a bit yesterday as I constantly watched a male Kestrel go back and forth from the paddocks to the woods opposite the yard entrance, and couldnt take any photos. The male Chaffinch that I reported earlier this month as following Kes, is still doing it ! All of the other small birds just tuck themselves away when Mr Kes comes over, but not Mr Chaffy......he just follows him !! I could have had the perfect photo opportunity yesterday when Mr Kes perched on a branch of a tree, and Mr Chaffy perched just a foot away or so above him, peering down at Mr Kes the whole time. Great behavhiour to observe. Also yesterday I had several sightings of a female Sparrowhawk flying quite low through the yard and out into the horse paddocks....but had no camera. Today when I did bring my camera, did I see her ??? Did I f*** !! Typical !
 
To end my blog today this is a photo of the horses paddocks on the right hand side of the 'avenue'. In the right hand corner of the pic, you can just about see the Fieldfares. On a day like today, when its dry and crisp and cold and there are quite a few sunny intervals, you can see why I really do enjoy watching the birds a work.....
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Intriguing as to why the chaffy follows the kestrel? and your horses are beauties!

    ReplyDelete