Sunday 4 May 2014

Warblers galore, an obliging Swan and much more at RSPB Rainham

It was off to RSPB Rainham today, mainly to meet up with some friends for a catch up but also to make the most of this weekends lovely weather.
 
My day started well with four calling Oystercatchers flying towards the reserve.
 
 
I managed to see four species of warbler today.
Of course the Common Whitethroats were plentiful....
 
 
 
 
There were singing Sedge Warblers every where I looked....
 
 
 
 
 
Reed Warblers were also abundant....
 
 
 
 
and the loud explosive call of the Cettis Warbler could be heard all over. Today was the first time I managed to photograph one. They are purely record shots, but will do until I can, one day, get something better.....
 
 
 
 
Talking of record shots, I managed two more today. One of a male Bearded Tit...
 
 
and the other of a distant male Cuckoo, back view only.....
 
 
Elsewhere I watched a Goldfinch demolishing a dandelion....
 
 
 
 
watched sunbathing Marsh Frogs...
 
 
found a well hidden Little Grebe on its nest....
 
 
and saw a couple of funky caterpillars (sorry, not had time to get them identified yet)......
 
 
 
So why are the words 'an obliging Swan' in my blog title ? Because if it wasn't for the swan, I would not have got the fantastic views of the Kingfisher today.
 
We know there are chicks inside the nest as the male Kingfisher has been making regular appearances with food (the female has only been spotted a few times over the last two days). The Mute Swan decided to position himself almost directly in front of the nest hole, just to have a bit of a preen.
 At first the Kingfisher flew around the swan, but on its next visit with a beak full of fish, he diverted to a nearby post giving everyone in the Marshland Discovery Zone, some fantastic views. The full length floor to ceiling window in there has been draped over with camouflage netting, so that the Kingfishers wouldn't be spooked by us bird watchers. With some careful shuffling you can see through the many odd gaps.
 
I was more than happy with the first two shots I managed to grab below...
 

 
But just after I knelt on the floor to get a better vantage point, the Kingfisher settled on a mace head right in front of me. So bearing in mind all of my photos were taken through glass, I'm really quite pleased with them.
 
 
 
 
and yes, the Swan did move on after giving itself a full preen, and the Kingfisher resumed his dutiful feeding. So a really pleasant day out, marred only by the long journey there and back, but what do you expect from public transport on a Sunday ?
It was nice to have a catch up with Elaine, Susan and Val. And it was nice to meet a few of The Friends of RSPB Rainham Facebook page too. A great day all round.

No comments:

Post a Comment