Sunday 21 February 2016

First signs of Spring at Cranford Park

It was a bit of a grey day today, not really ideal conditions for bird watching at Cranford Park, so I kept myself amused by looking out for signs of spring.
 
The Snowdrops in the church yard are just starting to go over.....
 
 
but there are still plenty of clumps in flower.....



 
Just after the bypass under the M4 but before the alley way that leads to Roseville Road, I found several good sized clumps of Lesser Celandine, my first of the year.....
 


 
Back in the church yard there was a clump of Anemone blanda, but as pretty as it is, it may not be a true wild flower (wild Anemone blanda flowers are generally blue) so may have self seeded from a shop brought plant that someone has planted on one of the graves....
 

 
In the alley way between CP and Roseville Road, I also found my first flowering Alkanets of the year....
 
 
It's been a very mild weekend so I knew I'd see some Honey Bees today.
The hive above the wall of the Secret Garden was active, as was the hive in the tree hollow in the woods.....
 
 
But the most Honey Bee action I saw today was in the church yard. The spread of flowering crocus in 'Hancocks corner' was attracting lots of Honey Bees. I spent over an hour watching and photographing their activities.....






 
Not far from the wild Honey Bee hive in the woods, I chanced across a log covered in Candlesnuff fungi. It was small enough for me to pick it up (after checking I wasn't disturbing any critters underneath it) and take it to my favourite 'perch' at CP - the wood circle.....
 

 
where I spent a very pleasing few minutes taking macro shots of the lovely fungi.....



 
I've left the log with the candlesnuff fungi at the wood circle in case any of the Cranford Park regulars would like to take a look at it.
 
As I had the macro lens on my camera today I had another go at photographing moss. May be boring to some, but I think they are quite beautiful.....
 

 
 
By the River Crane in the soft mud, I found Muntjac deer tracks....
 
 
and not far from them there were Fox tracks too....
(thank you Jonesy for the id confirmation)


 
On one of the flowering daisies, there was a small critter of some sort. I haven't yet been able to get an id on it, but it's another sign that spring is on it's way...
 


 
Whilst I had my nose to the ground today, my ears were picking up on various bird calls and I often followed them but didn't get any photos. The Long-tailed Tits were calling all of the time, and most of the sightings I had were of birds already paired up though there were still a few small sized flocks flitting about. Goldcrests were calling too, but spotting them was hard today. There was a Coal Tit calling near the wood circle. Both Blue and Great Tits were mainly seen in pairs today. There was a 'mewing' Common Buzzard that flew over by Cranford Lane. The male Kestrel was seen flying over the stable block. I heard drumming Great Spotted Woodpeckers in three different locations around the woods. At least one Green Woodpecker was 'yaffling'. For the first time in ages at Cranford Park I heard the 'bubbling' call of a Nuthatch but couldn't pin point it's position. Saw several Chaffinches around the boundary paths. There are still several Redwings in the woods but not in huge numbers. Both Mistle and Song Thrush were distantly spotted. Lots of Blackbirds and Robins seen paired up. Several Wrens were heard singing.
But sadly no sign at all of the Little Grebes, Little Egrets or the Kingfishers.
 
 
Spring is on it's way.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. wow - well done on Bittern and the pair of Peregrines... made up for the awful journey I'm sure :) ... must go back to Barnes... perhaps this Saturday... I'll.. not been there since I moved away 4 years ago!!

    Great blog post as usual Wendy....

    ReplyDelete