Friday 18 November 2016

Kings and Waggies at Cranford Park

A quick visit to the park today, well four hours is a quick visit for me.
 
The Stinkhorn fungi that I found two days ago has already gone over, but near by I found another one complete with feeding fly....
 
 
I also found my third 'fairy door'......

 
I'm lucky in that I know who the talent is behind these clever little doors, but I don't know how many there are dotted around Cranford Woods. So far I've found numbers 7,8 and 10.
 
In the car park, there was a juvenile Pied Wagtail feeding amongst the fallen leaves.
It was so well camouflaged that people were walking past without even noticing it.
Spot the Wagtail......

 
Now can you see it......?
 

 
Also only for the second time ever at Cranford Park I spotted a Grey Wagtail. This was on the stable block roof, not by the river where I saw my first one. And as I raised my camera to try and get a shot it was joined by another two Grey Wagtails. Trying to get photos was fruitless though as a Magpie decided to chase them away.
 
Other bird sightings include the usual Common Buzzard, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk. Plus a very large mixed flock, around 30 birds, of Blue Tits, Great Tits, Long-tailed Tits and five Goldcrests. Three Fieldfares landed in the mistletoe tree but were soon moved on by a Mistle Thrush. And there was a Little Grebe by the M4 viaduct.
 
Whilst I was trying and failing to photograph the Little Grebe there was the unmistakable sound of a calling Kingfisher and this little beauty landed in front of me.....
 
 
Seconds later another one emerged from under the M4 viaduct and took off towards the stone bridge.
 
The first one was very obliging and moved to several different perches allowing me to at least get good views of it, even if my photos aren't that sharp..... 





 
Where I saw them today was from the path way that goes from the stone bridge towards where the river disappears under the M4. There are plenty of trees there to hide behind.
 
So a very pleasant, if chilly, walk around the park and woods today. The Kingfishers were obviously the high-light and it was lovely to know they are still favouring the park.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment