Friday 14 April 2017

Critters at Cranford Park

I took a risk today and did not do my UKBMS butterfly transect. The wind was very cool, and I'm hoping the weather will be either better tomorrow or Monday. As it was I saw no butterflies at all until just before I was leaving Cranford Park, but more about them later.
 
The cool wind also meant there weren't that many hoverflies around and the ones I did find were quite sluggish and happy to pose for photos....
 
The below four are Syrphus sp.
 

 

 
and the one below is a first for me.....Sphaerophoria scripta......a nice new patch tick....
 
 
I had to look twice when I saw the critter below. Certainly not a hoverfly but I was baffled as to what it was at first. Thanks to the Insect ID group on facebook I now know this is a bee of the genus Nomada. There are around 30 Nomada bees and I haven't been able to narrow the ID down to any particular one......
 
 
There are now at least four wild honeybee hives in the park. The honeybee below is from the Secret Garden wild hive in the ivy clad wall........with the photo taken at the pond.
The flower is the common forget-me-not....
 
 
I spent a lot of time at the wood circle today with my flask of coffee and camera.
 Sometimes instead of walking around looking for wild life it's nice to see what comes to you.
You have to have patience to do that and it comes quite natural to me to sit quietly and listen and observe.
 
First along was this delightful Dock Bug.....
 
 
My second visitor was this male Scorpion Fly, my first sighting of the year. These gruesome looking flies are actually completely harmless. I know this is a male due to the red bulbous end to it's body. The females have pointed ends.
 
 
My next visitor to the wood circle was a male Orange Tip. I have always struggled to get a decent photo of these butterflies but I am really pleased with the three shots I managed to get today.
 


 
My last visitor before I left was a male Speckled Wood. He didn't stay long. As soon as the wind lifted, he was off. There wasn't enough sun today to keep him basking....


 
Tomorrow is the annual Bluebell Walk (meet 11am at the car park) so just a sneak preview of how glorious Cranford Woods are looking at the moment.......
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment