Sunday 9 April 2017

Three more 'first for the year' at Cranford Park today

Although it was hotter today than it was last Sunday I only had one extra butterfly on todays UKBMS transect. But I did have my first yearly sighting of the Green-veined White. Dreadful out of focus photo below....
 
 
but I know I'll get better pics as the season picks up.
The Holly Blues that I saw in abundance yesterday weren't as abundant today. Just four seen during my 75 minute transect. Nearly all of them were either flying or resting with their wings closed, but one did briefly open its wings for another dreadful out of focus shot below.....
 

Peacock
 The most prolific butterfly species seen today was the Speckled Wood. I had 19 today compared to seven last week. These might be very common but they are one of my favourite butterflies as they have so much character. The males actively defend their chosen patch, especially in woodland where sunlit spots are few. At one point today I had five flying around together in an almost ball shaped 'bundle'. I've even seen males see off other butterfly species that dare go near.
 


 
These butterflies occur in two flushes during the year, the first being from March onwards and the second being from July onwards.
 
So todays butterfly count is as follows:
31 butterflies / 7 species
 
Brimstone 1
Green-veined White 1
Orange Tip 3
Holly Blue 4
Peacock 1
Comma 2
Speckled Wood 19
 
My second 'first for the year' was a good sized Dock Bug basking in the sun....
 

and my third 'first for the year' was a Large Red Damselfly which I found in the churchyard....
 


 
The large chestnut tree that was sheltering over 20 Orange ladybirds yesterday was today very bare. And the only other ladybird I found during todays visit was one solo Harlequin. The photo below is not that sharp but it does show one of the Harlequins id traits - brown legs.......

 
I spent quite a bit of time at the wood circle after the transect. It's one of my favourite places in Cranford Woods and it didn't disappoint today. There are a pair of Chiffchaffs hanging around, maybe looking for a suitable nest site and one perched just in front of me.......
 


 
It's quite amazing to know this tiny little plain brown bird has flown all the way from Africa to breed here.
 
The woods were full of bird song today. Chiffchaffs, Robins, Goldcrests, Blue Tits, Great Tits and Wrens were all singing and calling. Again near the wood circle there's a Wren that kept appearing today singing it's little head off declaring its territory.....

 
Plenty of hoverflies on the wing today as to be expected.
Below is another Eupeodes luniger like the one I saw yesterday.....
 
 
and the one below is Eristalis pertinax....very hairy compared to the other one....

 
Lots of flowers are in bloom now.
The Cuckoo Flower or Ladys Smock below is one of my favourites and it's also the chosen food plant for Orange Tip butterfly caterpillars......
 
 
The first Red Campions are opening up.....

 
At the side of the park there's a path that runs alongside the A312. All down one side a lot of Arum Maculatum leaves have appeared. Also known as Lords and Ladies or Cuckoo Pint, I found just one in 'bloom' so am looking forward to next weekend when I hope they'll be a good display....

 
And last but by no means least, our native bluebells are in flower ! The ones below are surrounded by a patch of beautiful yellow Lesser Celandine.....

 
 
Next Saturday at 11.00 there is the annual Bluebell Walk through Cranford Woods, and I'll blog more about the bluebells then.
 
Hopefully see some of you there.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment