Friday 14 July 2017

WWT Caerlaverock 11th July - my birthday

Tuesday was my birthday and one that I will not forget in a hurry.
 
First thing in the morning I was watching a pair of Hares 'lolloping' around the courtyard from the kitchen window, and kicking myself for leaving my camera upstairs in the bedroom. I decided to chance my luck and try to take some video footage on my iPhone so quietly opened the front door. As I lent forward with my phone ready a sneaky little Weasel appeared from the left hand side, went over my foot and straight inside !! The Hares were forgotten as I watched the Weasel run straight behind the kitchen door, then make its way over to the fridge where it kept peeking out to see if I was still there. What to do ?? I quickly closed the inner hall door so the Weasel was confined just to the kitchen and outer hall way, took my cup of coffee and phone and went and sat outside leaving the front and outer hall door open in the hope the Weasel would find its way out. Half an hour later, despite not seeing the Weasel actually leave, there was no sign of it in the kitchen. Three times that day I popped back to check the kitchen, but no Weasel seen again. I only hope it did sneak back out the way it come in. My birthday certainly got off to a good start.
 
The sun was shining, there was very little wind and it promised to be a glorious day. Perfect.
 
Saltcot merse observatory
 There are 22 hides on site, some big and grand like the Saltcot merse above and others just one or two man hides. One of the two man hides overlooks the Teal Pond where Swallows had not only nested right above the entrance outside but had also nested inside....
 


 
It was quite an amazing experience sharing the hide, especially when one of them perched on the hide ledge and sang. I got some wonderful video footage on my iPhone but for some reason I cant upload it on to here.
 
More Swallows were hanging around the Peter Scott observatory and the air was thick with calling Swallows and House Martins again.

 
The warm weather meant there were more critters out and about....
 
Eupeodes luniger
 
Forest Bug

Blue-tailed damselfly

Marsh Orchid
There's a very healthy good sized colony of House Sparrows on site and the nice weather was perfect for a few of them to indulge in dust baths....
 
 
I popped in to say hello to the resident Whooper Swan.....


 
and had a go at taking photos at the reflection pond from another two man hide.....

 
There are lots of Chiffchaffs on site, some looking a little worse for wear after a season of raising chicks.....
 
 
and I've never seen so many Sedge Warblers as there are at Caerlaverock.....

 
The pair below are juvenile Chiffchaffs that posed very nicely for me....



 
As did this fresher looking adult.....

 
After this mornings sightings of Hares running around outside the kitchen window, but with out one photo to show for it, this Hare below was just out of focus for my camera.....
 
 
The feeder station along the Peter Scott trail is the best I have ever seen. It comprises of a fence with every other straight slat removed. You can sit on the benches on the path watching the birds through the open slats, and even walk past without disturbing them. You can even peek through and get some great views.
 
Along with the good sized House Sparrow colony onsite, there are also several Tree Sparrows, a bird I have only seen on a handful of occasions. They are breeding at Caerlaverock and their numbers are going up. Whilst I was watching not only were the parents still feeding the juveniles, they were also mating again for a second brood....

juvenile Tree Sparrow

record shot mating Tree Sparrows
A juvenile Blackcap passed through whilst I was watching and I managed a very poor quickly taken photo....
 
 
 As to be found at any good bird feeder there were the obligatory rats running around, but I only ever saw three at any one time...
 
 
After such a wonderful day it was nice to finish my birthday watching the Badgers again.....
 
iPhone photo through glass

iPhone photo through glass
 
An absolutely perfect solo birthday with just one thing missing. Alcohol. I forgot to pack any.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment