Thursday 26 October 2017

The new hide at Maple Lodge NR

I was invited to the opening of the new hide at Maple Lodge NR today. No photos of the good turn out as I only had my zoom lens, but I'm sure there will be photos posted by others on their Facebook page (link here). Maple Lodge NR also has it's own web page full of facts and the history of the reserve plus the extensive list of birds, mammals, amphibians, insects, butterflies etc seen at the reserve (link here)
 
But here are some photos of the new Mike Foulkes Hide that I managed to get after the opening. Mike Foulkes was the first chairman of the reserve and it was a pleasure to meet his widow and family today.
 
The old hide had very narrow steep steps but this one is very comfortable with very good views over the reserve and the newly refurbished pond at the front of the hide. There are two levels seating at least 4-6 people each very nicely.
 
 

 
The weather was pretty dreary today but that doesn't matter at Maple Lodge NR as there are plenty of hides to shelter in.
 
There was a Great Spotted Woodpecker from the Clubhouse Hide....
 
 
and a very showy male Green Woodpecker from the Rotunda Hide....
 



 
As to be expected at this time of year there were good numbers of ducks on site, with Shoveller, Gadwall, Mallard and one of my favourites, the delicate small colourful Teal...
 
 
I also saw my first Wigeon of the year from the comfort of the Lynsters Hide....

 
From the same hide some Greylag geese were grabbing forty winks....

 
The clouds may have been downcast and the sky very grey but there was the odd welcome splash of colour with some late blooming flowers....

 
and spider webs always look good after a damp grey mist....


 
Of course the Black-headed Gulls don't care what the weather is like.....

 
There were a good mix of ages amongst the BH Gulls, note the juvenile on the left in the photo above with the smattering of brown feathers still on his bike. Also viewable but a bit distant for any photos was an adult still in summer plumage with a full chocolate brown head.
 
I missed a great photo opportunity today though. As I was walking away from the Lynsters Hide I could hear the familiar sound of a Buzzard or Red Kite 'mewing'. It sounded quite near so I made my way to the Barn Owl meadow and watched the skies overhead. In to view came a lovely calling Red Kite which then circled around me before unbelievably landing on the field right in front of the Lynsters Hide !! The hide I had just left ! It stayed just long enough to attract the attention of a couple of crows who then mobbed the bird until it took off.
 
If only I had stayed in the hide for a few minutes more !!
 
Against the grey sky and in the drizzly rain my flight shots of the Kite look dreadful but they will do for a 'record' shot for todays blog....


 
Another successful and enjoyable visit to my second favourite place and to see the usual regulars there.  Maybe my next visit will be on a better weather day.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment